|Job Title||Lecturer in Introductory Biology|
|Job Description Summary, Duties and Responsibilities, Required Qualifications and Preferred Qualifications||
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The search will remain open until the position has been filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by March 20, 2020. Second consideration may be given to applications received by April 3, 2020. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (April 3, 2020) may not be given full consideration.
Position is full-time academic year, limited to 06-19-2021 with anticipated renewal.
The Department of Biological Sciences in the College of the Environment & Life Sciences (CELS) at The University of Rhode Island (URI) invites applications for a Lecturer in Introductory Biology. The candidate will support URI’s mission to provide students with an academic experience that exposes them to different ways of knowing, life experiences and perspectives of the world.
The successful candidate will teach the first course in the two-semester series in introductory biology for majors and will also participate in a course revision aimed at developing core competencies in biology and integrating Biology learning outcomes with learning outcomes from chemistry and math.
Successful candidates will demonstrate a commitment to the design and implementation of inclusive pedagogical models that enhance a sense of belonging and academic success among undergraduate students from diverse cultures, disciplines and academic backgrounds. Other assignments may include teaching a freshman seminar course and the second course in the two-semester introductory biology series and student advising.
The CELS website (http://web.uri.edu/cels/) provides more information about the department and research facilities at the University.
1. Master’s degree or PhD (preferred) in biological sciences or a life sciences field at the time of application.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of students and faculty.
3. Demonstrated ability to function independently and collaboratively in a complex academic environment.
4. Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
5. Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills.
6. Demonstrated evidence of excellent teaching that employs inclusive pedagogies.
1. At least one semester of college-level teaching experience in Introductory Biology (preferred).
2. Undergraduate degree in a STEM discipline.
3. Experience in using e-campus and Brightspace (or other learning management systems) in teaching at the college level.
The University of Rhode Island is an AA/EEOD employer. Women, persons of color, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of other protected groups are encouraged to apply.
|Union||AAUP - American Assoc of Univ Professors|
|Status||Academic Year, Full-time, Limited|
March 17, 2020