Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 55 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are seeking to recruit a Research Associate (RA), who will be based in Boston as part of the Global Industry Research Health Care Team. The health care market encompasses over 1,000 companies with a combined equity market capitalization of close to US$5 trillion. The Team manages assets in excess of US$60 billion over a variety of long-only, long/short, and private equity client mandates. The focus of this role will be on researching public companies within biopharmaceuticals, working closely with the senior pharmaceuticals Global Industry Research Analyst on the Team. The ideal candidate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player who is passionate about both biopharmaceuticals and the investment management industry.
The following essential skills are required for the role:
- Analytical acumen and passion for markets –The ideal candidate will have a deep scientific background, strong analytical capabilities, good financial modeling skills, and an eagerness to apply their expertise in support of Wellington's biopharmaceuticals investing. The RA will be passionate about investing and the healthcare industry.
- Superior collaboration and influencing skills – The Research Associate will be a self-directed, hard-working team player, who contributes to the research efforts of the senior pharmaceuticals Analyst. The successful candidate will enjoy contributing to a highly collaborative investment environment and will build strong trusting relationships internally with colleagues across the healthcare team. The ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) and contribute to an open investment dialogue is required.
- Growth mindset – The flexibility and openness to continue learning, evolving, and growing as a Research Associate is important. The RA will have a global perspective and creative approach for analyzing investment opportunities in biopharma equities.
Responsibilities for this position will include the following:
- Performing continuous due diligence on biopharmaceuticals companies spanning the breadth of the sector;
- Staying abreast of relevant medical and scientific literature;
- Working to identify emerging research trends and novel and investable medical or scientific developments;
- Attending company meetings, investment industry conferences, and biopharmaceutical conferences;
- Completing complex analytical projects under tight time constraints;
- Building and maintaining company financial models on prospective investments;
- Maintaining the integrity of industry and comparative valuation models; and
- Making investment recommendations to the Health Care Team.
Additional qualifications and individual characteristics include:
- Superior academic credentials and track record: an undergraduate degree is required; a MD or PhD in a biomedical discipline is strongly preferred;
- A minimum of 5 years of previous investment experience within the biopharmaceutical industry; strong applicants with other relevant experience (e.g., strategy, business development, or consulting in biopharmaceuticals) will also be considered;
- Sound judgment, strong work ethic and highest personal and professional integrity;
- Demonstrated analytical ability;
- Excellent financial modeling and accounting skills;
- Ability to work independently and make decisions in the face of uncertainty;
- Ability to organize, manage, and prioritize time well;
- Strict attention to detail; and
- Effective communications skills, both written and verbal.
JOB TITLEResearch Associate, Healthcare
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com.