The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world‐class faculty in modern well‐equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross‐disciplinary approach, with an emphasis oncreativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields,but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences,Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
In accordance with the OIST Strategic Plan 2020 – 2030, OIST will establish a centralized career center, the C-Hub, to provide professional development and individual career support for all members of the OIST community (on campus and potentially beyond). The C-Hub will serve students, researchers, research staff, faculty, and administrators to provide career programs, consultations, mentoring training, and resources. The C-Hub will further enhance OIST’s contributions to the cultivation of globally prepared and engaged scientists, and also strengthen engagement with the local communities. The Faculty and Postdoctoral Career Development Coordinator will play a key role in the establishment and growth of the C-Hub programs and activities, and this will be an exciting career opportunity.
The Assistant Director for Faculty and Postdoctoral Professional Development (AD-FPPD) will play a key role in designing and providing programs for faculty, postdoctoral researchers, and staff scientists seeking consultations and programs on mentorship; inclusive leadership; pedagogy; course design; communication and presentation; diversity, equity and inclusion; and other support for their ongoing needs. The AD-FPPD will have the opportunity to design programs, provide consultations, and create career development resources for the OIST community. As the OIST postdoctoral, faculty, and staff scientist community grows, the AD-FPPD will collaborate with the Executive Director and other colleagues in the Office of the Dean of Faculty Affairs to strategically develop career advising and professional development opportunities informed by research, evaluation, and benchmarking of OIST’s programs in comparison to international best practices and outcomes. The AD-FPPD will also have the opportunity to work with colleagues to develop and teach certificate programs in collaboration with the Graduate School and other partners across the university. The AD-FPPD will have the opportunity to contribute toward the ongoing cultivation of a vibrant, inclusive, and collaborative community of educators, researchers, and mentors, in alignment with the evolving needs of these groups. The AD-FPPD reports to the Executive Director for Professional Development and Inclusive Excellence, in the Office of the Dean of Faculty Affairs.
1919‐1 Tancha, Onna‐son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
- Review the professional development and inclusive mentoring needs of faculty, postdoctoral scholars, staff scientists and fellows.
- Develop professional development curricula to meet the identified needs in coordination with the relevant divisions and partners including the Graduate School, the Technology Development & Innovation Center, Ganjuu (well-being and counseling center) and the OIST Alumni and Association Network (OAAN).
- Together with other colleagues in C-Hub, develop workshops and programs to promote the creation of inclusive and equitable research and teaching climates, and professional development opportunities such as practice interviews, presentations to various audiences, scientific writing skills, etc.
- Create and integrate professional development resources into the C-Hub website and the OAAN web platform and contribute to curated repository of career development resources.
- Provide in person and/or remote consultations with faculty, postdoctoral scholars, staff scientists and fellows, and provide guidance on their individual career development plans.
- Develop a mentoring and advisory framework for junior faculty and postdoctoral scholars, in collaboration with senior faculty, members of the OAAN, the C-Hub Advisory Board, and the Executive Director.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, benchmark OIST’s career training and mentoring framework and programs in comparison to the needs and priorities of the international research community.
- Promote the visibility of the C-Hub and in coordination with relevant divisions at OIST, support campus-wide conversations on career development and inclusive mentoring.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- A Ph.D. in an academic discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (TOEIC 850 or higher).
- Experience developing and facilitating workshops or interactive programs.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the research and current issues in higher education professional development, pedagogy, mentorship, academic research climates, and diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to take direction and to give and receive feedback.
- Ability to design and develop web-based services and resources.
- Excellent time management, organizational, analytical, and collaboration skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated highest standards of personal integrity, tact, and discretion.
- Administrative experience.
- Postdoctoral experience.
- Two years of experience in professional development.
- Prior work experience (teaching and/or research) in an academic environment is preferred.
- Evidence of strategic planning and evaluation skills.
As early as possible
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
For further information contact Kathy Takayama, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
Applications deadline will continue until the position is filled. (Applications will be screened upon arrival)
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.