Date: Mar 2, 2019
Location: Palo Alto, CA, US
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Be a part of the legacy: MRL Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program
The Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) Postdoctoral Research Fellow Program aims to be a best-in-industry program for industrial postdoctoral researchers, designed to provide you with an academic focus in a commercial environment. With the resources, reach, and expertise of a large pharmaceutical company, postdoctoral researchers will be positioned to excel in an institution committed to breakthrough innovation in research and discovery.
The Department of Profiling and Expression at Merck Research Laboratories, Palo Alto, CA is seeking a post-doctoral fellow to work in translational research, biomarker development and discovery biology for immune-oncology targets. The successful candidate will characterize immune cell infiltration and interaction with stromal elements in the tumor microenvironment using multiplexed immunohistochemistry (IHC) and quantitative image analysis on the wealth of human tissues. This work will help to understand the biological relevance of spatial relationships between cell populations in the tumor microenvironment.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Planning, designing and conducting complex multiplex immunohistochemistry and quantitative image analysis experiments under the direction of a supervising mentor.
- Working with pathologists and scientific end-users to improve and refine assay and analysis tools.
- Data interpretation, manuscript preparation, publication and presentation of results.
- Contributing to a safe and compliant laboratory work environment.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- A PhD with less than (3) years of postdoctoral experience OR graduating with a PhD by summer of 2019.
- Experience with immunohistochemistry.
- Experience with quantitative image analysis.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Background in oncology or immunology strongly preferred.
- Familiarity and comfort with tissue histology.
- Experience with multiplexed immunohistochemistry.
- Experience working with multifunctional teams.
- Experience with current machine learning technologies with image analysis/computer vision application.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.