GSK is seeking a highly motivated scientist with an established track record in affinity selection, protein biochemistry, and/or cell biology to join the multidisciplinary Encoded Library Techonology (ELT) team. As a member of the ELT Biology Group, you will use DNA encoded chemical libraries (DELs) to identify small molecule ligands to support drug discovery programs across GSK. You will have the opportunity to develop expertise in additional technologies and contribute to the further development of the ELT platform.
The successful candidate will have an understanding of protein biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology, and/or a closely related discipline. Hands on experience with cell biology (e.g. mammalian cell culture), molecular biology (e.g. PCR/qPCR), biochemical (e.g. affinity purification, SDS-PAGE, ASMS), and/or biophysical (e.g. SPR, MST) techniques are desired. This work could be in an academic setting or the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry. A detail oriented individual demonstrating the ability to work in a team environment is critical, including good communication and organizational skills, a strong desire to succeed, and the ability to deliver on time.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
- Represent the Encoded Library Technology (ELT) team on multidisciplinary project teams
- Have accountability for the design, execution, and data analysis of DNA-encoded library screens with the goal of identifying hit/lead small molecules for genetically validated targets
- Develop a deep understanding of affinity-based screening and contribute to the advancement of the ELT platform
- Work independently while being part of a larger team, including networking with GSK colleagues across multiple R&D sites
- Contribute to publications, presentations, and collaborations that enhance the visibility of the team
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD (0-2 years relevant experience) or MS (5+ years relevant experience) in cell biology, biochemistry, biophysics or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with protein biophysics/biochemistry and hands-on molecular biology experience (PCR, qPCR, etc.).
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
- Hands-on experience with affinity selection techniques, especially DELs, is desired. Experience with SELEX or phage display techniques is also relevant.
- Mammalian cell culture experience.
- Experience working with membrane proteins.
- Hands-on experience with robotic liquid handlers (e.g. Agilent Bravo, TECAN).
- Familiarity with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) is a plus.
- Strong data literacy, analysis, and visualization skills of large data sets, especially related to small molecule screening outcomes. Experience with R, python, or equivalent, and/or Spotfire is a plus.
- Ability to formulate and communicate a coherent vision and research plan and implement assay optimization, platform development, and/or new technology approaches.
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
- Demonstrate strong scientific leadership as well as excellent written and oral communication, including publication(s) in peer reviewed journals.
- Ensure compliance with all GSK R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, work practice training and standards.
Our values and expectations are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture. These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making – using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk, governance and control, managing ambiguity and paradox.
- Managing individual performance.
- Creating a performance culture and driving results, prioritisation, execution, delivering performance.
- Setting strategic direction and leading on-going organisational transformation.
- Building a resilient organisation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration in service of common goals, engaging the organisation and building trusted external networks for mutual benefit.
- Managing P&L and capital allocation.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.