Schmidt Science Fellows receive a generous stipend and are supported to develop the skills and perspectives needed to accelerate discovery, advance solutions to the world’s most pressing problems, and to become future leaders in science and society. Fellows pursue a postdoctoral placement at a leading laboratory anywhere in the world in a disciplinary pivot from their PhD. As part of the application process this year, Fellows will be required to consider several options of where they may undertake their postdoctoral placement. Schmidt Science Fellows also participate in a varied and challenging Global Meeting Series that introduces new research ideas, techniques, and questions, in addition to a tailored training program.
More information about the program and selection criteria can be found at https://schmidtsciencefellows.org/
Note that this is a limited opportunity fellowship. Harvard can only nominate a limited number of candidates, so there will be an internal selection process to select the nominees.
- PhD students working across any of the natural sciences (chemistry, biology, physics, astronomy, and earth sciences), computing, engineering or mathematics
- Have completed, or be expected to complete, all the requirements for the PhD between April 30, 2020 and September 30, 2021
Internal Application Process (deadline August 17, 2020 at noon):
Harvard can nominate only a limited number of candidates.
Please submit the following for the internal selection process:
- Complete CV, including name, email address, PhD program, and a list of all publications
- Research Statement (specific for the internal review process) that briefly addresses: (1) Rationale for the disciplinary pivot from your graduate work, (2) Plan for pursuing postdoctoral study in a different field, and (3) how the Schmidt Fellowship fits your long-term plans; maximum 2 pages.
- Letter of Recommendation from your thesis advisor
Interested applicants should send their materials as a single PDF. The letter of support may be included in the PDF or sent separately.
All materials must be submitted to email@example.com by August 17, 2020 at noon.
Selected nominees must register with the sponsor by September 30, 2020 and submit final application materials by November 30, 2020. Note that full application materials are more extensive than those requested for the internal application.
Questions regarding the internal application process should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org