About the Program
myCHOICE is the University of Chicago's professional development program that empowers graduate students and postdoctoral scientists from STEM disciplines to reach their full professional potential and make informed decisions about their career trajectory. myCHOICE provides exposure to the vast STEM career landscape and opportunities to cultivate the skills, experience, and networks needed today to obtain top positions in academia, industry, government, and beyond. By leveraging our connections both inside and outside of the University and constantly developing new partnerships within our active alumni network, myCHOICE is able to offer a weekly "What Can I Do with My PhD?" seminar series, 14+ mini-courses and workshops per year focusing on critical professional skills, such as team management, negotiation, and science communications, and hands-on/in-person experiences such as internships, externships, a Mentor Network, and career-themed treks. myCHOICE events are designed to engage trainees from the Biological Sciences Division, the Physical Sciences Division, and the Pritzker School for Molecular Engineering. This position will be for a maximum of a one (1) year appointment.
The job provides professional support for continuing education programming. Uses knowledge of internal and external University issues to administer program curriculum, policies, and procedures. Conducts communications and outreach for these programs, and responds to inquiries from enrolled students.
- Identifies seminar themes, researches and recruits panelists, and moderates panel discussions at the weekly seminar series.
- Assists the Director in developing divisionally-tailored programming, including seminars, workshops, company site visits, and mentorship opportunities.
- Assists the Director and collaborators from other units to develop and expand divisional alumni networks and career outcomes tracking.
- Working closely with Director, develops marketing strategy and supports publicity campaigns for upcoming events through direct email, electronic bulletin, website, and social media.
- In collaboration with campus partners and development teams, expands and maintains the myCHOICE Mentor Database & Network through direct outreach and publicity campaigns.
- Coordinates site visit logistics and alumni participation in quarterly career-themed treks.
- Tracks event attendance and administers post-event surveys.
- Provides data content for reports related to stakeholder meetings.
- Creates content for and manages program website.
- Collaborates with internal and external professionals to create new programs and enhance existing ones. Assists with evaluating the program curriculum, policies, and procedures.
- Assists with planning and implementing program marketing activities, including the development of publications and Web site.
- Gathers and analyzes data concerning program performance, and writes reports. Monitors program budgets.
- May review work of and serve as a resource to program support staff and program instructors.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
- Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 2-5 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
Graduate experience in the physical or engineering sciences.
- Experience in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and PremierePro.
- Proficiency in WordPress website development.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including knowledge of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and style.
- Comfortable and confident with cold-call outreach to prospective program volunteers and alumni.
- Resourceful, creative, collaborative, detail-oriented, and able to work independently.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills, asking questions when necessary.
- Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and perform well under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate the highest degree of professionalism.
- Excellent operational knowledge of MS Office Suite and Adobe Suite, including at minimum: Illustrator, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Editing and proofreading skills.
- Committed to providing a high level of service and working in a team environment.
- Aware of and dedicated to maintaining program and university branding and quality.
- Able to handle confidential information with utmost discretion