PhagePro is a preclinical global health biotech startup in Boston. We aim to use bacteriophages (phages), which are viruses that specifically target and kill bacteria, to prevent bacterial infections. With the unmitigated rise of antibiotic resistance and the known negative consequences of gut dysbiosis caused by broad-spectrum antibiotics, bacteriophages provide a side effect-free alternative for preventing disease in clinical and community contexts.
As a mission-driven biotech company, we are a small, but growing phage company that prioritizes global health. We believe health is a human right, and our team is dedicated to helping make that a reality through our innovative phage-based products.
Our first product is focused on the prevention of cholera. Cholera is a disease that affects vulnerable communities and is spread primarily through contaminated water sources due to a lack of adequate sanitation infrastructure. Roughly 1.3 billion people around the world are at risk for cholera. The World Health Organization estimates that there are at least 3 million cases annually, approximately 40 percent of which are spread through household transmission.
Household members often present with cholera symptoms two to three days after the initial patient becomes sick. There is currently an unmet need for a clinical intervention to stop the household and community spread of cholera using a rapidly active prophylactic treatment. PhagePro is seeking to fill this gap with its first phage-based product, ProphaLytic-Vc (PVC).
PhagePro is looking for a Principal Scientist to lead our preclinical research on PVC as we prepare for clinical trials. The position is located at PhagePro’s lab space at the Tufts Launchpad in Boston, MA and will include domestic/international travel 5-10% of the time.
- Independently design, execute, and analyze studies to explore genetically engineering phages to decrease antibiotic resistance gene transmission
- Collaborate in study design and execution to understand phage stability under various pressures and assist in solid dosage formulation optimization by our external partner
- Develop and optimize quality control assays to transfer to a phage manufacturing CRO
- Problem-solve through literature searches and logical experimental design
- Effectively communicate synopses of analyses and generate detailed lab notebooks
- Present scientific data at lab meetings and conferences
- Write manuscripts for peer review and publication
- Contribute to scientific writing on external documents to support various regulatory submissions
- Work collaboratively and inclusively with international external partners
- Lead a team of two scientists and a part-time technician in meeting product development milestones for PVC
- Develop and plan adequate resources to support critical activities and execute key activities
- Oversee the transfer and validation of developed assays and protocols to CROs: Manage the timeline, deliverables, and quality for the collaborations
- Develop the Research & Development team members in their scientific and professional growth
- Attend and contribute meaningfully during team meetings
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Extensive bench experience in microbiology, virology, immunology, and/or related fields, including but not limited to the following: Ph.D. with 2+ years of experience or M.S./M.A. with 4-6 years of experience
- Authorized to work in the U.S.A.
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Demonstrated strong technical writing and good documentation practices
- Ability to work well independently as well as in a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Self-motivated learner
- Ability to learn and act on dynamic information in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects effectively
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- First-author publication(s)
- Experience working with bacteriophages and/or bacteria
- Experience working with small animal models
- Experience managing and training a small research team
- Industry research experience
- Knowledge of healthcare settings in low- and middle-income countries
You are a good fit for our team if you are:
- Passionate and motivated by global health disparities
- An advocate for creating a diverse and inclusive work environment
- Open-minded and collaborative
- Driven by innovation
- Intellectually curious
- Able to operate effectively and efficiently with little oversight
Please submit your application with a resumé and cover letter at the following link:
Applications will close on May 14 at 5 PM ET. Thank you for your time and consideration. We look forward to hearing from you!