From the Program Page: "Effective grant proposal writing begins here. Maybe you have had difficulty in the past getting funding for your research. Maybe you have yet to write any at all. It is a difficult – and vital – aspect of success within STEM fields, and experts at AAAS have first-hand, in-depth knowledge of common pitfalls and weaknesses seen by many reviewers, and how to avoid rejection before a proposal is sent to review.
AAAS has created this program with the express purpose of helping participants develop strategies for effectively communicating their goals and how they plan to achieve them. Specific funding opportunities and major grant organizations will also be covered through our new Best Practices for NSF Grant Proposals and Best Practices for Writing NIH Grant proposal courses. Learn how to interact with NSF divisions, directorates and program officers, become fluent in NIH’s organization and structure, and understand both NSF’s and NIH merit review processes and review criteria.
This program will help students learn how to:
- Gain knowledge in writing strong, competitive grant proposals
- Navigate NSF’s organizational structure and governance
- Understand the organization of NIH and the proposal review process
- Understand the five standard review criteria and NIH specific aims
- Place research goals in the context of funding agency priorities and intentions
- Learn the types of funding and how to locate funding opportunities
- Understand what research ethics encompasses
- Learn what to do when you discover ethical misconduct
The Program includes the following components:
- Avoiding Common Errors in Proposal Writing
- Best Practices for Writing NSF Grant Proposals
- Best Practices for Writing NIH Grant Proposals
- Overview of Ethics in Scientific Research
- Broader Impacts for NSF Proposals
Quiz: Comprehensive Quiz and Program Completion Certificate"